Yet another stupid thing... but I did it so here's to remembering how.
I wanted to show of all the places my place of work (MPOW) published in the past 5 years, what their impact factors were and how many in each venue. (yes, caveat the IF but this is in response to a request)
So I have a citation manager collection with the articles we've written, collected through database alerts in all the major databases. I exported that and cleaned up the journal names in VantagePoint (not affiliated, yadda, yadda... use Open Refine if you don't have VP), and then laboriously a co-worker and I went through and added the IFs. Then I created a shortened name for each journal (woulda been easier if I kept the official abbr) by first replacing journal with j, transactions with trans, proceedings with proc, letters with let, etc. Then using the Excel
Then copied values and then saved as CSV: short name, number of articles published, IF.
Here's how I graphed it.
w <- mpow2010.2014jnl$total.articles pos <- 0.5 * (cumsum(w) + cumsum(c(0, w[-length(w)]))) x <- c (1:257) y <- mpow2010.2014jnl$Impact.Factor my.labs <- mpow2010.2014jnl.s$Jnl.Short p<-ggplot() + geom_bar(aes(x = pos, width = w, y = y, fill = x ), stat = "identity") + scale_x_continuous(labels = my.labs, breaks = pos) p + ylab("Impact Factor") + xlab("Journal") + theme(axis.text.x = element_text(angle = 90, vjust = 0.5, hjust=1), legend.position = "none")
The labels were a wonky afterthought. not elegant... and I wanted to get rid of the legend. Note I just made a blank vector for x and then added the labels later. It worked... not pretty.
I would like to thank the kind folks on stackoverflow:
Here it is - intentionally smushed so I don't give away too much. I hope. I can remove image if there's an issue, lmk, don't sue.
I ended up going back and zooming in on pieces. I shoulda made a function so I could just look at whatever part I wanted.. sigh.