A brief dialog

May 30 2012 Published by under Careerism, Day in the life of DrugMonkey, NIH

"It seems like just about every time I manage to get up from the mat, the system punches me back down again"

"Yeah, doing science on the NIH extramural dime is like that. deal, dude"

• Pinko Punko says:

Defende the statuse quoe! Drugge Monkeye!

No crying in baseball is the oldest comment in the book. Good times!

• Was that dialogue between you and the voices in your head?

• drugmonkey says:

Punko: Aren't you rather leaping to conclusions about who is talking?

• miko says:

You can't trust the system. I'M AN ADULT!!

• Pinko Punko says:

I wasn't concluding about whom was talking. I was just drawing parallels to known internet chunderwagon CPP's persona(e) and dialog being passed on. Drug Monkey is not Drug Monkey but Drugge Monkeye is associated Drug Monkey™ blog branding relating to the "performance artist" we all know and loathve.

Since it's score week for the recent study sections, people are getting hammered out there. Maybe a week of soaking it in is allowable. Next week can be for "sucking it up" etc.

• drugmonkey says:

Yep, the next couple of weeks are painful around one's department, eh?

• Virgil says:

Yep, one thing's for sure, next Friday or shortly thereafter I will be getting very drunk. The cause will either be celebration or depression, but either way the results of study section will cause a severe lack of alcohol in our house by Sunday.

• Pinko Punko says:

Unrelated: I think the world is looking to DM for "bath salts" fix, especially with the possibility that this face eating guy. I actually don't want to read any more about it because it is so horrific, but this blog is ground zero for "bath salts" information!

• drugmonkey says:

I don't know much either. http://scientopia.org/blogs/drugmonkey/category/drug-abuse-science/cathinone/

There was a very interesting poster at EB this year that covered MDPV. The author described some self-injurious behavior at high dose in a rodent model that was the first thing I've heard that comes close to the rather sensationalistic stuff we've heard about in the popular media, including the recent Florida case.

There is also an entire symposium on "bath salts" at the CPDD meeting in a few weeks, perhaps more will emerge from that session.