I gotta make this kid hip to music

Feb 15 2012 Published by under Music

So my little cousin is growing up and little dude is interested in music, more specifically Rock and Roll and he wants to listen to some older stuff.  Now I've got to do this kid right and make sure he doesn't fall into the evil clutches of listening to Bieber.  I've been thinking about 5 or 6 pivotal albums to get him started off on his rock education.  I'm going to give you my list and give me some feedback or suggestions that you would have..

Artist/Album
1.  Led Zeppelin- Led Zeppelin II
2.  The Beatles-Revolver (or Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club)
3.  Lynyrd Skynard-Street Survivors (he is southern and this is the epitome of southern rock)
4.  Pink Floyd-Animals (I don't think he's ready for The Wall yet)
5.  Jimi Hendrix Experience-Electric Ladyland)

Let me know what you guys think

• fusilier says:

Lovin' Spoonful - Do You Believe in Magic?
    Bob Dylan (can't limit this to one, but...) Freewheeling Bob Dylan or Highway 61 Revisited are good choices.
    Jan and Dean - the Little Old Lady from Pasadena (just for fun!)

Jimi and the Beatles are always good.

fusilier

James 2:24

• Dr. Zeek says:

Guns and Roses- Appetite for Destruction

Or is that a touch inappropriate?

• Zeek, I was saving GnR for round 2, I wanted to take him there with some Metallica and Black Sabbath. I gotta ease this kid in the water, not toss him in before he can swim.

• Dan Gaston says:

My brother and cousins were all about 6 years older than I was. I was listening to the best of late 80's and early 90's rock and metal when I was fairly young. I don't think it's inappropriate. Of course I also think that even then most rock albums were being more discrete with their references to sex, drugs, etc. References were a little more oblique, metaphors were common. Not like now where Pop and Rap are pretty damn explicit. No one has any imagination anymore.

As well as older stuff, think of some of the best modern equivalents, particularly some more obscure stuff. Sometimes along with the classics it helps when you can find something new to appreciate and maybe connect with a little more. A band that tours that maybe he could actually see live at some point is always a plus for really appreciating music.

I'm a big fan of Old Crow Medicine Show for Bluegrass with a touch of rock inspiration. They are very modern in their lyrics, and old in their style. That might appeal to a southerner.

• Steve D says:

Cross off Skynard and add Allman Brothers - Eat a Peach

• Scicurious says:

I just listened to the Beatles again after a while...every time I hear them I'm reminded how AMAZINGLY BRILLIANT they are.

• Bashir says:

CCR
    Bruce
    The Who

I agree with your Pink Floyd pick. That's an underrated album.
    How old counts as old? 90's rock would be a lot of fun.

• Tom Schulte says:

Great thing youa re doing, the kid will thank you later.

Personally, for the southern angle, I'd go Allman Brothers before Lynyrd Skynyrd. It's something to think about...

• Martijn says:

Lynyrd Skynyrd and Pink Floyd are not really entry level with their long and intricate tracks. Jimi Hendrix's singles are good, but a lot of the album material is very dated hippie stuff, so if I'd add Hendrix, I would choose a Best Of.

Whatever you do, do not expose him to Dylan! Bob Dylan is someone you need to listen to when you are ready. Too early exposure can do damage, like forcing teenagers to read novels for adults can turn them off to reading for the rest of their lives.

I'd go for more song oriented, catchy stuff, like:
    Van Halen - Van Halen
    Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous
    Ramones - Rocket to Russia
    ZZ Top - Degüello
    Nirvana - Nevermind (to him it's old music)
    Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell
    The Doors - The Doors

• Dr. Zeek says:

Hmmm...well then I have a lot of good suggestions for round 2.

That being said, there are a few "classic" Skynard songs that the kid has to hear.
    and personally, Nirvana was an acquired taste (as was the Smashing Pumpkins). I was the prime age for Nirvana when they first started shining around and yeh...wasn't a fan until recently.

The Rolling Stones? They seem to be a love them or hate them sort of band, but honestly, the "greatest hits" album with "Paint it Black", "Beast of Burden", "Ruby Tuesday" and "Wild Horses" might be a nice way to ease him into things.

(Now I am just flipping through the iPod trying to see what the hubby told me to download when I was learning about this thing called rock and roll....but that is a whole other story.)

• Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street
    Eric Clapton - Cream of / Derek and the Dominos
    David Bowie - Diamond Dogs

• TheLabMix says:

Animals is amazing, but you really think that should be the Floyd introduction, rather than Dark Side? Or Wish You Were Here?

• The Animals - The Animals (US Studio Release) - Another of the British Invasion bands. Though you may as well go with their "The Best Of ..." album which has it all.

The Who - Tommy - The best rock opera of all time.

Chicago - Chicago II - 25 or 6 to 4 is one of my fave songs of all time.

Creedance Clearwater Revival - Bayou Country

• Oh, and how could I forget early Clapton. This was probably the first rock album I ever bought:

Cream - Disraeli Gears

• rehana says:

I was going to say Dark Side too.

• DCBob says:

In this digital age I wouldn't send a kid off to entire albums. Give him 100 or so individual tunes from different bands and albums, with reference to the albums so he knows where to dig as he uncovers things he likes, and let him discover the rest himself. Some particulars, in rough chronological order:

Little Richard - Tutti Frutti
    Chuck Berry - Maybelline or Roll Over Beethoven
    Elvis - Hound Dog
    Stones - Brown Sugar, Jumping Jack Flash, Paint It Black, etc.
    Lovin' Spoonful - Summer in the City
    Jefferson Airplane - Somebody to Love
    Quicksilver Messenger Service - Who Do You Love
    Steppenwolf - Born to Be Wild or Magic Carpet Ride
    CCR - Centerfield, Bad Moon Rising
    Janis Joplin - Down On Me
    Sly & the Family Stone - Medley from Woodstock
    Van Morrison - Tupelo Honey, In the Garden (the version from the San Fransisco live album)
    Clapton - Layla
    Allman Brothers - One Way Out
    Eagles - Take It Easy
    Elton John - Tickin' (his least known great tune)
    Little Feat - Fat Man in the Bathtub (the version from Waiting For Columbus)
    Randy Newman - Rednecks
    Springsteen - Born To Run
    Clash - Jenny Jones
    Talking Heads - Big Country
    Los Lobos - One Time One Night, Evangeline

And of course a smattering of key Motown hits (1 or 2 each from the Temptations, Four Tops, Supremes etc.), Billboard 100 from the late 1960s, some surf music, some early ska and reggae. Enough so he gets a feel for the range of the great stuff that came out right during the explosion. And some Robert Johnson (Crossroads) and Howlin' Wolf (Killing Floor) too so he knows where it all came from.

• Thanks Bob, I want him to get the music as it was supposed to be listened to back then, the full album. He was blown away at that concept and that you just didn't buy individual tracks on iTunes. I did explain to him what a "single" was though.

• pilotgrrl says:

Ramones, Rocket to Russia. The Clash (first album, preferably UK import edition).
    The Who, My Generation compilation and Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy.