Bonjour à vous chers lecteurs !

Mar 27 2011 Published by under Uncategorized

Several weeks ago, I was surprised to receive that invitation to become, for a period of 2 weeks, a Scientopia Guest Blogger ! Why? Well, because I never thought that our actual blog, Le Physiologiste, would interest someone! This invitation is maybe a proof that some people are following us... So, thank you very much for that invitation and I hope that you will enjoy what we’ll have to offer during these 2 weeks!

We, because several contributors are now sharing their thoughts at Le Physiologiste , will blog about our experiences as graduate students, researcher and junior faculty member. Indeed, although I think it is important to discuss science, I also consider that sharing our research experiences may be of interest and useful for some readers who can recognize themselves in the situations we are talking about. Still, I hope that we’ll have time to share some thoughts on recent literature related to physiology.

Let me introduce myself now ! I am Patrice Brassard, an assistant professor of Kinesiology at Université Laval, Quebec city, Canada. During my graduate studies, my major interest was related to cardiorespiratory physiology during exercise in clinical populations, i.e. patients with congenital heart diseases during my master’s degree and patients with type 2 diabetes during my PhD studies. Then, I had the opportunity to do a postdoc in Copenhagen to study cerebrovascular physiology in healthy subjects, patients with diabetes and patients with heart failure. I am presently interested in cardiac and cerebrovascular physiology in patients with type 2 diabetes at rest and during exercise. We are also studying the cardiovascular impacts of mental work.

I've been attracted to science blogs as a graduate student and I'm now a huge fan of Scientopia. I decided to start my own blog somewhere in 2009 and at that moment, I was the unique contributor. I began to blog using a pseudonym. Indeed, I initially started to blog under Le Physiologiste because I didn’t know what direction I wanted to give to my blog. Should I only blog about my life as a new assistant professor? Should I exclusively blog about research in physiology? Should I blog in French, in English, or in both languages? I decided it was time for me to blog under my real identity.

Then, I asked my graduate students to participate to the blog in order to increase the number of posts and also to diversify the content of our blog. I found that it would be a great opportunity for them to share their experiences and discuss science in a different context than lab meetings or journal clubs.

So here we are ! In our next post, it will be Émilie’s turn to introduce herself !

P.S. We apologize in advance for language mistakes. Although we like to share our thoughts in English, French is our native tongue :-)

Bienvenue à tous !

Patrice

• scicurious says:

Yay! It's great to have you with us!

• physioprof says:

Physiomotherfuckenology FTMFW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• DrugMonkey says:

Of mental work? Moar please!

• Patrice Brassard says:

Our research group has been interested, for some years now, by unsuspected potential determinants of obesity, such as short sleeping and knowledge-based work. More specifically, colleagues have studied the impact of mental work (reading a 10-page text and writing a summary of approximately 350 words using a computer) on spontaneous energy intake and glucose homeostasis.

Since challenging mental work is known to influence the cardiovascular response (and the fact that some of us like cardiovascular physiology a little bit more than metabolism and nutrition :-)), we have also been interested in documenting more precisely the cardiovascular response induced by mental work (using a similar reading-writing task). Especially since there are still a lot of gray zones related to the mechanism(s) responsible for that response. This work represents Emilie Pérusse-Lachance’s PhD work (one of Le Physiologiste's contributors).

We consider this work very important since that cognitive work has progressively replaced physical work and is now a very important modality of human activity.

• Travis says:

Since challenging mental work is known to influence the cardiovascular response (and the fact that some of us like cardiovascular physiology a little bit more than metabolism and nutrition ), we have also been interested in documenting more precisely the cardiovascular response induced by mental work (using a similar reading-writing task). Especially since there are still a lot of gray zones related to the mechanism(s) responsible for that response. This work represents Emilie Pérusse-Lachance’s PhD work (one of Le Physiologiste's contributors).

Nice! This sounds like it might dove-tail nicely with some work I'm doing with JP Chaput as part of my PhD (although I'm focusing on the metabolism/nutrition side of things). We should discuss sometime, will you be at the CON Summit this spring? I assume you'll be at CSEP in Laval in the fall?

And congrats on the guest-posting gig, well deserved!

Travis

• Patrice Brassard says:

Thank you for the good words Travis !

Research is a small world ! JP Chaput and Angelo Tremblay are the colleagues who "have been interested, for some years now, by unsuspected potential determinants of obesity, such as short sleeping and knowledge-based work" :-)

We should definitely discuss these very interesting issues. I won't be at the CON summit but Émilie will be.

I will definitely be at CSEP in the fall.

Let's hope to have the possibility to meet at CSEP !

Patrice

• Patrice Brassard says:

Thank you guys ! I'm already feeling the love !

It's great to be around!

• proflikesubstance says:

Sweet. Welcome, folks.

• Zuska says:

Welcome! It's exciting to have you here!

• Patrice Brassard says:

@PLS and Zuska,

Thank you for the welcome! It is our pleasure to be here and to exchange with bloggers we follow on a regular basis !