Even major scientific discoveries need some whimsy!

Jul 04 2012 Published by under [Physical Science]

So CERN announced early this morning that they have identified the Higgs Boson - the last missing particle of modern physics, which has remained only theoretical in the 50+ years since its description. The world has been anticipating this news for some time and the anticipation around the announcement was significant. The scientists presenting the data knew that they had to put their best foot forward and convince the community that they had done what so many wanted to accomplish.

What do YOU do when the pressure is on? That's right, break out motherfuckin Comic Sans!

BOOM! Now people know that you not only solved one of the critical questions in physics, but you have a playful side too. You don't take the data too seriously, it's just confirmed at 5 sigma. Whatevs!

Maybe everyone else uses Comic Sans to announce the office beach party or the frat Luau, but not CERN. Oh no. They announce the Fuckin HIGGS with that shit.

If you need me I'll be changing all of my lectures and presentations to Comic Sans.

• Bashir says:

That color scheme...

• Dr 27 says:

Ahahha, you know, you should send it do Dr. Zen who would fix it in an instant, from font, to organization ... to ... that ... extremely ... well ... effin crazy colour scheme.

• Socal dendrite says:

Yes! I stayed up to watch the seminars: I wasn't expecting to understand much as they were aimed at the high energy physics crowd, but this left me with plenty of attention to direct to the hilariously awful ppt slides. Did you see the weird/difficult-to-read mirrored font the other speaker chose for his headings? And the tiny labelling on the figures. And the text-heaviness of it all. And the 90+ slides squished into an hour. I could go on... But all that aside, yay for the awesomeness of science!

• ianqui says:

You've probably seen this, but in case your readers haven't:

• proflikesubstance says:

Sweet! I've been looking for that. I've seen it before, but couldn't track it down.

• DrLizzyMoore says:

Ah, Comic Sans. The consolation font: 'We know that we just found something crazy important that so many people haven't been able to. Thank you for all of your efforts. We got here first, but we aren't going to gloat (too much) about it.'.

Srsly, that color scheme--YIKES! I don't know if it exists in a Microsoft template, but if it does, it needs not to survive the next upgrade. Just sayin'.

• proflikesubstance says:

There's a cornucopia of terrible here. Part of me wants to believe that they did it on purpose just to mess with everyone. As if they needed more to the story than the Higgs.

• DJMH says:

If you put it in Comic Sans, it isn't so annoyingly "science-y" and laypeople won't be put off by our penchant for elitist, Ph.D.-level fonts like Helvetica.

• proflikesubstance says:

My new theory is that the people that made the presentation were the one that did the work but weren't being mentioned in the press conference...

• I must admit that I would occasionally generate images using a non-traditional color palate for last-minute figure requests from my PI when I was near the bitter end of my PhD, forcing hir to say "and in lavender you see..."