Time To Move On

Apr 01 2011 Published by under Announcements, Those Humorless Feminists

Well, I haven't wanted to say anything about it, but I've had enough with the management around here, and the latest crazy proposal to change Scientopia to a subscription model - you pay $20 a year to see the entire post, otherwise you don't get to see the letter "e", which apparently is most common and uses the most bandwidth - is just too much for me.   I am moving to Occam's Typewriter.

But I'm sick of moving this blog from one place to another, too.  I'm taking this as an opportunity to try something new.  I'm shutting TSZ down completely, and I'll be starting a new blog at OT called "Fun With Feminism!"  Say goodbye to Zuska and hello to my new alter ego, Ariana, based on a tv heroine of mine (see if you can guess who!)

FWF will be focused on outreach to 11th and 12th graders and 1st and 2nd year college students.  These are the critical years for determining whether or not a young woman will form a feminist consciousness.  It's no secret that feminism has a bad reputation as a grim, humorless enterprise.  This turns a lot of young women off.  So FWF will feature feminists in the workplace, women's studies professors, and the like - each profile will include a headshot of the feminist smiling, and will explore things like who are their favorite comedians, what's their favorite joke, have they ever gone to a comedy club and what was it like if they did, what things do they like to do to have fun on weekends with their friends.  In this way, young women will see that feminists are fun! and will be encouraged to consider becoming feminists.

It's been great blogging at TSZ as a hairy-legged feminazi, but I am really excited about this next stage in my blogging life as a clean-shaven fun-filled gal, bringing feminism to the young ones in a cheerful and hilarious guise!  Wish me luck and follow me at OT!  Also on Twitter!  I will totally be on Twitter!

UPDATE:  Zuska's legacy will live on!  Someone is stepping up to carry on her work!

• no pasaran says:

Ha! April Fool's.

• proflikesubstance says:

I will follow you on Twitter. Looking forward to the funny side of feminism, the militant shit is just so old.

• KateClancy says:

Oh Zuska, what a good decision. I was so tired of the hairy feminazi trope. We need to see more women SMILING and CHOOSING things, as long as they are those things men would already choose for us! The smiling is especially important because if women aren't smiling all the time, there might be something going on inside their heads, like thinking, or anger. I like totally HATE the thinking and anger stuff.

• Zuska says:

All I'm saying is why not show that feminists can be totally full of smiles? Everybody loves smiles. When you are out in public, people are always saying, "Smile! It doesn't cost anything!" Put on a happy face! I think the youthful energy of Funimism is going to be more appealing to young girls than some frowny old woman just nattering on about equity or social justice or whatever.

• brooksphd says:

Well done that girl! Good show!

Now, go pop the kettle on and make us a cup of tea eh!

*slaps rump*

• Miriam says:

You totally had me. A feminist colleague of mine recently noted in a very nice letter about my teaching that I should smile more. No kidding. Good luck with those girls. I know a few, and I think they will be tough nuts to crack.

• Penny says:

Yup, you got me too. I started seeing a bunch of tweets from Scientopia blogs that looked like another big exodus was underway... well done!

• Rob Knop says:

Have you considered promoting feminism entirely through LOLcats? I think that idea has a lot of potential.

• Zuska says:

Nobody has guessed which tv heroine Ariana is based on!

• JB says:

Ariana- Inara of Firefly?

• Zuska says:

Noooo....hint, the inspiration is also named Ariana.

Also, Zuskateers, be sure to see the update in the original post! Or should I say, Bruskateers.

• jc says:

I will start baking the cookies RIGHT NOW.

• BBBShrewHarpy says:

OOh how fabulous! But will FWF have cheerleaders? I do hope so!

• Zuska says:

If anyone could just figure out who Ariana is...

• BBBShrewHarpy says:

Oh I'm just too excited about the cheerleaders to think about Ariana. Is she one of the cheerleaders? Sorry, I only watch sports on TV and I'm not hot on popular culture so probably won't guess this one.

• BBBShrewHarpy says:

Oh I'm just too excited about the cheerleaders to think about Ariana. Is she one of the cheerleaders? Sorry, I watch only sports on TV and I'm not well up on popular culture so probably won't guess this one.

• FrauTech says:

Finally. I've waited through years of your blogging to reach this moment. Looking forward to seeing your happy, smiling (or someone's happy, smiling) face fighting for compliancy and gender norms. I'm glad you finally figured out trying to change the world is a hopeless endeavor and are willing to twist yourself like a contortionist to meet the patriarchy's standards instead. I'm sure that's the way to go. I don't think cheerleaders are going to be enough and am pretty sure we're going to need Strippers For Feminism. Let me know if you need volunteers and I'll stand alongside you.

• grrlscientist says:

fun with feminism? comedy clubs? my ass, d00d. i just wanna know if any of these feminists have little black thangs (and yes, i wanna see pictures, and none of those photoshop jobs like what janet reno got a decade ago during the firebombing of waco, texas, either!). if these chix don't look good in a revealing black frock, well, fuck their hairy legz! i don't give a shit about them, their cup size or what they think about ... well, about shit!

• Zuska says:

Because everyone wants to know, and no one is guessing: FWF will have cheerleaders. It wouldn't be funimism without cheerleaders! Ariana will routinely end blog posts with the perfect cheer.

• Buttercup says:

But tell us what the world really wants to know, what brand of pink pink pink ladyrazor will you be using to shave those hairy legs? And will you smile fetchingly while you do it? Just like in the commercials? Huh?

(the letter E bit was a nice touch, kudos!)

• Zuska says:

I can't say yet what brand of razor. I'm hoping to get a sponsor by endorsing pink ladyrazors. Also, the shorn leg hair will be used to make wigs.

• I can't tell you how glad I am to hear this. I have long been intrigued by the idea that women are real people with opinions and thumbs and things, but have been afraid to read more about it for fear that doing so would cause my manhood to drop off. Now that I hear you're going to be smiling, I suddenly feel completely unthreatened! Finally, someone is willing to listen to the white heterosexual male perspective on women! I'll come to your new blog and explain my very important ideas in the comments. I mean, I know you have ideas of your own, but you obviously haven't thought very hard about them. I'm just asking questions. I'm only trying to help.

Also, maybe at your new site we can play bingo together. Everybody loves bingo!